Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Great Wall is, well, pretty darn great!

The Great Wall was amazing!!!!! The steps just about killed my knees but so worth it! I mdade it up only about seven flights of stairs before I gave it up as a bad job but the history of the place was astounding. Mostly built between 220-206 BC, it kept the Mongols out of China. Over 13,170 miles long, it is a UNESCO World Heritage site and the only manmade structure astronauts can see from space! It was fascinating.

Went to a jade factory. Gorgeous stuff. Learned a lot about jade. Not sure I can remember it all but when I get home, I will write more about it. Then off to one of the Ming Emperors' tombs. Gorgeous ceilings and such beautiful work. A huge statue to the emperor -- whose name escapes me right now -- in the middle of the tomb. There was a 400 year old pine tree on the grounds; so majestic. The architecture was really cool. The ceiling was so colorful. Our guide, Tom, is pretty honest about what happened to all the beautiful furniture and jewelry that was destroyed during the Cultural Revolution. He is very matter of fact. It happened in their history and it makes no sense to try to deny it. Kind of refreshing and not what I expected. Of course, he doesn't question the government too much.

For lunch, we went to the largest government-run restaurants in the country. It also housed a cloisonne factory. Young people are our tour guides at these factories and do an excellent job of explaining the processes. Cloisonne originated in Beijing during the Yuan dynasty and continued during the Jingtai period (1450-1456) of the Ming dynasty. It is called "Bule of Jingtai" due to blue being the dominant color used for enamaling. Just like jade and pearls, only royalty used it. It was considered a symbol of authority and status. Not something I care much for, but the works of art were lovely. I took lots of photos of the process but can't download my digital camera until I get back to the states.

The afternoon ended with a trip to the Great Wall of China. Almost everyone of us kept saying, "Pinch me, I can't believe I am actualy here!" What a feat of architecture. One of our party, a young lady from Canada named Laura -- who looks remarkably like Katie Perry -- went up one side to the top, back down and up and down the other side! She is in amazing shape and is probably about 25. This old lady barely made it up those flights of stairs she did get up -- haha!

Dinner was at the restaurant all the U.S. presidents go to when they visit Beijing. Peking duck is their specialty. I still don't care for duck but it was fascinating to see how many ducks the chefs cut up for everyone's meals. The place was packed and I believe had five floors filled with tables. It is still the national holiday here so people were still out celebrating that evening. Meals are served family-style, which allows you to pick and choose what you want to eat. I tried everything but the anemone-looking stuff and some funky looking mushrooms that one person said tasted like rubber. I don't even like to chew gum so chewing rubbery food doesn't not appeal. So much food on the table that you feel guilty for not eating more. The leftover food goes to feed farm animals, Tom says. There has been so much food leftover that the animals must eat like emperors!

The best thing about the day was the massage that Tom arranged for us. For 35 U.S. dollars, I received a 90 minute massage from a sweet young lady right in my room. Deep tissue massage, too, just the way I like it. It felt fabulous! I slept, as Tom would say, like a pig! A pig's only jobs in China are to eat and sleep and if you slept really well, you say you slept like a dead pig. I didn't sleep quite that well, but it was a restful night's sleep with lovely dreams of Chinese ladies massaging my feet. I could get used to this.

1 comment: